Monday 30 January 2017

Only one PC left

In the past I collected too many old PCs rather than see them thrown out by friends and acquaintances. They were a useful source of spares and if my main workhorse broke down I could have deployed one as a spare. But they took up too much space and they also consumed more power than modern computers. Now that access to the Internet has broadened to tablets and even mobile phones, and most services that I use are in the cloud, it's not as pressing a task to wait for the repair of my workhorse if it should break down. Virtual Machines have also allowed me to run separate OSes on a single machine.

I actually recycled or gave away most of the old tower PCs last year, but this last one I was asked to dispose of as a favour. I found that the motherboard on it had failed, so I advertised it in Freecycle. A teenage hobbyist took it away.

So now I have just the workhorse, a small NUC that I use as a desktop, a couple of Raspberry Pis, various tablets, a chromebook, a notebooks and mobile phones. There are more wireless clients of my router than wired clients now.

No comments:

Post a Comment